The Discount Codes module allows you to provide discount codes to users.
- Discounts can be a fixed value or a percentage of the order’s total.
- Discount codes can be applied to any purchase during the checkout process (listing submit, upgrade, etc.).
- Discount codes can be restricted to a maximum number of redemptions or a limit date.
- Discount codes can be limit to certain users only.
The ZIP you download is a full WP plugin. The installation instructions are inside of it, and here as well:
Upload the ZIP as a plugin via the MANUAL process. From the WordPress admin panel:
- Go to Plugins->Add New,
- Click on the “Upload” link, and then click on Browse Now to locate the ZIP file you just downloaded.
- Click OK once you find it on your local computer
- Click the Install Now button to start the process.
- After the installation completes, click the “Activate Plugin” link to turn on the module
- Make sure you have the discounts system enabled. The setting is located inside Directory Admin → Manage Options → Payment, under the Discount Codes header.
Managing discount codes
When Discount Codes is enabled, a new menu item appears under the Directory Admin menu, called Manage Discounts. On this screen, you can see a list of all discount codes and information about them (# of redemptions, expiration date, etc.) and some filtering options on top.
You can also edit or add new discount codes. Each of the options and fields available to discount codes are discussed in the following section.
Adding or editing discount codes
When adding a new discount (via the Add Discount button on the previous screen) or editing an existent discount, the following options/fields are available to you:
- Discount Code — An alphanumeric string that identifies the discount code.
- Discount Type — Whether the discount is a fixed value or a percentage of the order’s total.
- Discount Amount — The value of the discount (either as a fixed value or a percentage, according to the previous setting).
- Description — A description for the discount code. This field is never shown to users. You can use it for admin purposes or to add notes relevant to the discount code.
- Enabled? — Whether the discount is currently enabled to users or not.
- Expiration Date — (Optional) On this date, the discount code will stop working.
- Total redemptions allowed — (Optional) Once the discount has been redeemed this number of times, it will stop working.
- Redemption limit per user — (Optional) Limit for same-user use of the discount.
- Limit discount to certain users… — (Optional) A list of usernames that are allowed to use the discount code.
Important: The Discount Codes module doesn’t have a way of advertising, distributing or sending the discount codes to users.
When the discount system is enabled, a discount code field appears to users during any checkout process (listing submit, listing upgrade, listing claim, etc.). This allows users to apply a discount code to their purchase up to one discount code per purchase and always subject to the specific restrictions of the code (see above).
When a discount code is sucessfully applied, the user still needs to pay for the remaining amount (if any), to complete the checkout process.